An overview of the DP Coordination workshop
Session 1. Introduction, Presentations, the Programme.
- Presentations from the group.
- Who is the programme for and how does it fit in the school.
- Standards and Practices
- The Learner Profile
Session 2. International Mindedness.
- Group exercise on the role of international-mindedness
Session 3. The Role of the DP Coordinator, Planning the Programme, Selection of Students, Marketing, Application Procedures, and Tailoring a Programme.
- Introduction of the different roles in different schools– what an ordinary day is like.
- Discussion of different job descriptions.
- Which subjects to teach – specialisation e.g. engineering, medicine.
- Timetabling restrictions.
- Knowledge of the general rules and regulations.
- Application procedures.
- Tailoring a programme.
- Diploma versus course.
- Presentation of different calendars.
- Language A school supported self-taught.
- Languages A,B,ab initio, HL/SL. Which to take?
- Predicted Grades.
- The power of MyIB.
Session 5. The Examinations and Special Needs.
- Preparation leading up to the examination session.
- Rules and regulations.
- Six-month retake versus one-year retake.
- A guide through the special needs booklet.
- Adverse circumstances that may arise during an examination session.
Session 6. Planning Internal Assessment.
- IA in different subjects.
- The timing of Internal Assessment.
- Predicted Grades
- Academic Honesty
Session 7. ToK and Approaches to Teaching and Learning.
- What is ToK and why do we teach ToK?
- How to structure and set up a ToK course.
- Course and diploma candidates. Should all take it?
- Teaching techniques and materials.
- ToK across the curriculum.
- Approaches to Learning
Session 8. Extended Essay and CAS
Organising the Extended Essay – introduction, the role of the school librarian, deadlines.
Regulations and criteria.
The role of the supervisor.
The role of the DP Coordinator in the Extended Essay.
- Overview of CAS
- The role of the DP Coordinator in CAS
- Creating a CAS programme.
Session 9. University Recognition, Authorisation and Verification, 5-year Evaluation and Conclusions
- University recognition.
- Authorisation and verification
- 5-year evaluation